Telephone Safety

The telephone is one of the safest appliances in your home or office. There are, however, a few situations where a telephone user needs to be cautious.

The telephone should not be used while you are in the bathtub, shower or pool. Immersion of the telephone or handset in water could cause electrical shock.

You should avoid using a telephone during an electrical storm in your immediate area; calls of an urgent nature should be brief. There is a remote risk of a dangerous electrical shock from lightning when using the telephone during a nearby electrical storm. 

If you think you have found a gas leak, you should not use a telephone in the vicinity of the leak until the leak is repaired. The telephone contains electrical contacts that could generate a tiny spark when you lift the handset and dial. While unlikely, it may be possible for this spark to trigger an explosion if the gas concentration is high enough.